J. Sanford (Sandy) Miller joined IVP in April 2006. He focuses on later-stage venture and growth equity investments in technology, Internet, and digital media companies. Sandy has more than 35 years of venture capital and technology investment banking experience and has served on over 25 boards, including five public company boards. He has been personally involved in over 100 IPOs. Sandy was recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of the top 100 venture capitalists in the world by his inclusion in the Midas List nine times. He was named six times to AlwaysOn lists of top venture capitalists and also was selected for the New York Times / CB Insights List of Top 100 Venture Capitalists in 2016 and 2017.
Sandy has led investments in AddThis (ORCL), Carbonite (CARB), Care.com (CRCM), Constant Contact (CTCT), Data Domain (DDUP), Datalogix (ORCL), FleetMatics (FLTX), HashiCorp, KeepTruckin, Looker, Merchant e-Solutions (CIOXY), Ngmoco (DeNA), Niantic, OnDeck (ONDK), Placeware (MSFT), Sauce Labs, SkyStream Networks (ERIC), SoFi, Supercell (SFTBF), US Internetworking (ATT), Vonage (VG), Zerto, and Zynga (ZNGA).
Prior to IVP, Sandy was a Senior Partner with 3i, a leading global venture capital firm. He established and managed 3i's later-stage technology investing business in the United States. Earlier in his career, Sandy was a leading technology investment banker. Sandy co-founded Thomas Weisel Partners, where he was a member of the Executive Committee, Chief Administrative and Strategic Officer, and Co-Director of Investment Banking. He was also a Senior Partner at Montgomery Securities where he led the technology group. Prior to Montgomery, Sandy was a Managing Director and opened the San Francisco technology investment banking offices for Merrill Lynch and Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette. Sandy was also a Manager of strategy consulting at Bain & Company and a securities lawyer at Pillsbury Winthrop.
Sandy serves as a Board Member of the Cantor Art Center (Stanford University Art Museum) and the Art Museum of the University of Virginia, where he was previously a College Trustee. He has also been a Trustee and Board Member of the Stanford Graduate School of Business, the Stanford Law School, the Asian Art Museum of San Francisco, the American Conservatory Theater, and Grace Episcopal Cathedral.
Sandy earned a B.A. from the University of Virginia (Phi Beta Kappa) and an M.B.A. and J.D. from Stanford University.
Sandy's recent writing
- Niantic: Viewing the World Differently
- Hashicorp: Provisioning the Future of the Cloud
- The state of the IPO market
- Podium: Broadcasting Greatness
- KeepTruckin: Reinventing Telematics
- How to be a VC: Learn From Top Silicon Valley Investors On How They Became VCs
- The drought is over… a torrent of tech IPOs is expected in 2017 ( TechCrunch )
- IVP Invests in Red-Hot Testing Company Sauce Labs
- IVP-backed Zerto Announces E1 Funding: Another Step on the Road to IPO; And What to Look For In A Company on the Journey to IPO
- The Importance of Getting Your ZZZs; IVP Adds Zerto to the Portfolio
- SoFi Makes the Grade -- IVP Partners to Help Extend to Recent Graduates
- Lower the Wall, Lift the Market ( TechCrunch )
- IVP Credits Prosper Marketplace with Disruption of Consumer Lending
- Congratulations to Our Friends at OnDeck!
- The JOBS Act Progress Report: The Number of Tech IPOs Can Double by 2016 ( TechCrunch )
- What Tech CEOs Really Need to Know, Pre-IPO ( Re/Code )
- Congratulations to Our Friends at Supercell!
- Stop Bashing the IPO Market -- Its Ripe for Recovery ( All Things D )