Eric Liaw joined IVP in 2011. He is focused primarily on later-stage investments in high growth companies across a variety of sectors, including enterprise software, Internet, and mobile. Eric was recognized by GrowthCap as one of the Top 25 Software Investors of 2020, which highlights exceptional private capital investors in the software space, and as one of the Top 40 Under 40 Growth Investors in 2018. Business Insider recognized Eric among the top 23 most respected enterprise technology VCs in 2018. He was also recognized by The New York Times and CB Insights in 2019 as one of the top 100 venture capitalists in the world.
Eric serves as a Board Director or Observer for IVP portfolio companies Aiven, App Annie, Deputy, Glossier, The Honest Company, IEX, Lulus, MasterClass, NextRoll, Supermetrics, WHOOP, and ZipRecruiter and led IVP's investments in Datadog (DDOG), GitHub (MSFT), Klarna, Robinhood, and UiPath. He was actively involved in the firm’s investments in Coinbase, CrowdStrike (CRWD), Curology, Grammarly, Hims & Hers (HIMS), Niantic, Podium, Tala, and Whisper and previously served as a Board Director or Observer for Dropcam (GOOG), MINDBODY (MB), OnDeck (ONDK), RetailMeNot (SALE), Supercell (SFTBF), The Players' Tribune (Minute Media), and Wikia (TPG).
Prior to joining IVP, Eric was with Technology Crossover Ventures (TCV) where he completed minority and control investments in private and public companies across the Internet and software sectors. Eric was actively involved in originating, executing and managing a number of investments, including: Adknowledge, Altiris (SYMC), eHarmony, Fandango (CMCSA), Global Market Insite (WPP), Intelligent Beauty, Netflix (NFLX), TechTarget (TTGT), Tiny Prints (SFLY), Webroot Software, and Zillow (Z).
Earlier in his career, Eric was a member of Morgan Stanley's Technology Investment Banking Group. During his time at Morgan Stanley, Eric was involved in strategic and financing transactions valued at over $4 billion for clients across multiple technology sectors, including C|Net, Crystal Decisions, JD Edwards, Hewlett-Packard, Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) and others. Eric also held technical and marketing positions with Trend Micro and Canon Software Publishing.
Eric holds a B.A. in Economics with a minor in Computer Science and an M.S. in Management Science and Engineering, both from Stanford University.
Eric's recent writing:
- IVP's Got WHOOP!
- Supermetrics: A Data Superhero
- Aiven: The Open-Source Data Cloud
- Niantic: Viewing the World Differently
- Every Shift on Deputy- Why IVP Invested in Deputy
- Uipath: No More TPS Reports!
- Podium: Broadcasting Greatness
- Coming Into Fashion
- Coinbase: Unlocking the Value of Digital Currencies
- Yoda was wrong. Who says a Master can only have one Apprentice?
- IVP Steps Up to The Plate with The Players’ Tribune
- IVP Just Got Glossier
- Congratulations to MINDBODY!
- Shining a light on the mobile ecosystem… Welcome App Annie to the IVP Portfolio!
- Congratulations to our friends at OnDeck!
- Zipping Right Along… ZipRecruiter Raises $63 million from IVP to Accelerate Growth
- Dropcam + Nest = Connecting You to Your Home
- Big Market, Deep Technology And A Great Team – That’s How IVP (Ad)Rolls
- Congratulations to our friends at Supercell!