Menlo Park, CA – December 18, 2014 – During 2014, Institutional Venture Partners (IVP), one of the premier later-stage venture capital and growth equity firms, reached a milestone of 101 portfolio company IPOs. In the past year, the firm welcomed the IPOs of OnDeck (ONDK), Yodlee (YDLE), MobileIron (MOBL), Aerohive (HIVE), and Care.com (CRCM). In addition, IVP distributed over $800 million in capital back, including the proceeds from Nest’s (GOOG) acquisition of Dropcam. The firm made fourteen new investments in 2014 from its latest $1 billion fund – IVP XIV.
As an investor in innovative companies such as AppDynamics, Dropbox, OnDeck, Pure Storage, Snapchat, Supercell, The Honest Company, and Twitter, IVP remains committed to its focused strategy of supporting rapidly-growing technology and media companies and partnering closely with exceptional management teams.
IPOs in 2014:
- Aerohive (HIVE), a leader in controller-less Wi-Fi and cloud-managed mobile networking, went public in March. IVP made its initial investment in Aerohive in August 2012.
- Care.com (CRCM), the world’s largest online destination for finding and managing family care, went public in January. IVP made its initial investment in Care.com in August 2012.
- MobileIron (MOBL), the leading enterprise mobility management provider, went public in June. IVP made its initial investment in MobileIron in May 2012.
- OnDeck (ONDK), a leading online platform for small business lending, went public in December. IVP made its initial investment in OnDeck in February 2013.
- Yodlee (YDLE), a cloud-based platform driving innovation in digital financial services, went public in October. IVP made its initial investment in Yodlee in January 2005. Yodlee marked the 100th IPO milestone for IVP.
Significant M&A Exit in 2014:
- Dropcam, the creator of Dropcam HD and Dropcam Pro, the award-winning Wi-Fi video monitoring camera with cloud recording service, was acquired by Nest (GOOG) for $555 million in July. IVP made its initial investment in Dropcam in July 2013.
IVP Investments Announced in 2014:
- Adroll, the world’s most widely adopted retargeting platform
- General Assembly, a global education company for individuals seeking great jobs in technology, business, and design
- Indiegogo, the first and largest global crowdfunding platform
- Klarna Holdings, one of the leading independent European online payments providers
- Prosper, a leading peer-to-peer consumer lending company
- Soundcloud, the world’s leading social sound platform that gives users unprecedented access to the largest community of music and audio creators
- ThreatStream, the provider of a threat intelligence platform that identifies cyber threats and facilitates trusted collaboration and enterprise automation
- Whip Networks, the creator of Whipclip, a new app that allows users to create clips of their favorite TV moments and share them with their friends
- Woven Digital, a publisher of fast-growing pop culture news and entertainment sites which include UPROXX and Brobible
- xAd, the global location marketplace bringing together buyers and sellers with ad targeting solutions focused on driving in-store traffic and sales
- ZEFR, a leading platform that builds social marketing and rights management software for online video
- Zendesk (ZEN), a leading hosted customer service software provider that brings organizations and their customers closer together
- Zenefits, a free, cloud-based HR platform that automates and eliminates time-consuming HR tasks for small and medium-sized businesses
- ZipRecruiter allows small businesses, employers and recruiters to easily reach the right candidates and make the best hiring decisions by posting to 50+ job boards in a single click
In 2014, two of IVP’s General Partners – Todd Chaffee and Sandy Miller – were named to the prestigious Forbes Midas List of the Top 100 Tech Investors. This was Todd’s fifth time on the list. Sandy is one of only nine venture capitalists who have been on the Midas List each year since 2007. Jules Maltz was named #2 on the GrowthCap Top 40 Under 40 Growth Investors List which highlights exceptional private capital investors in the growth segment. AlwaysOn named IVP in its Top 25 VC Firms List and recognized IVP’s General Partners, Todd Chaffee, Norm Fogelsong, and Jules Maltz, in its Venture Capital 100 List. In addition, AlwaysOn recognized Todd Chaffee and Norm Fogelsong as “2014 Power Players in the Cloud,” and Norm Fogelsong as a “2014 Power Player in Digital Media.”
IVP has six general partners and eight additional investment professionals focused on identifying later-stage growth companies in the consumer and enterprise sectors. IVP is one of the top performing firms in the venture capital industry, typically serving as a lead investor in expansion-stage rounds with investments ranging from $10 to $100 million.
Promotions and New Hires
Throughout its history, IVP has helped hundreds of businesses to scale and achieve long-term value. The current IVP partnership has worked closely together for over ten years with a strong focus on later-stage investing.
IVP’s success in 2014 coincided with several important promotions and new hires during the year. The firm hired Saydeah Howard, a former Vice President at LeapFrog and an Associate at Russell Reynolds, as Vice President of Talent and Venture Services. In addition, Bryan Hsu joined the firm as an Associate while both Kelly O’Kane and Parsa Saljoughian were promoted to the role of Senior Associate.
New San Francisco Office
In February, IVP also opened a satellite office in San Francisco that is in close proximity to fifteen IVP portfolio companies, all of which are headquartered in San Francisco.
About Institutional Venture Partners (IVP)
With $4 billion of committed capital, Institutional Venture Partners (IVP) is one of the premier later-stage venture capital and growth equity firms in the United States. Founded in 1980, IVP has invested in over 300 companies, 101 of which have gone public. IVP is one of the top-performing firms in the industry and has a 34-year IRR of 43.2%. IVP specializes in venture growth investments, industry rollups, founder liquidity transactions, and select public market investments. Since its inception, IVP investments include such notable companies as AppDynamics, ArcSight (HPQ), Buddy Media (CRM), ComScore (SCOR), Dropbox, Dropcam (Nest), Fleetmatics (FLTX), HomeAway (AWAY), Juniper Networks (JNPR), Kayak (PCLN), LegalZoom, LifeLock (LOCK), Marketo (MKTO), MySQL (ORCL), Netflix (NFLX), ngmoco (DeNA), Polycom (PLCM), Pure Storage, RetailMeNot (SALE), Seagate (STX), Shazam, Snapchat, Supercell, Synchronoss (SNCR), The Honest Company, Twitter (TWTR), and Zynga (ZNGA). For more information, visit https://www.ivp.com or follow IVP on Twitter: @ivp.