Menlo Park, CA – December 15, 2016 – During 2016, IVP announced eight new investments and the firm’s portfolio companies raised over $2.5 billion in follow-on funding. In addition, IVP had several significant M&A exits, including SteelBrick (Salesforce) and AddThis (Oracle). IVP continues to actively invest IVP XV, a $1.4 billion later-stage venture capital and growth equity fund, in high growth enterprise and consumer technology.
As an investor in innovative companies, such as AppDynamics, Domo, Dropbox, The Honest Company, Slack, Snap, Supercell, and Twitter, IVP remains committed to its focused strategy of supporting innovation at the growth stage and partnering closely with exceptional management teams.
IVP Investments Announced in 2016:
- Checkr, the leading software solution for background screening and verification
- Cyence, a cyber-risk management software solutions provider for insurance industry
- GIPHY, the first and largest GIF search engine, where thousands of artists, brands, and pop culture moments make today’s expression, entertainment, and info a little more moving
- Glossier, a direct-to-consumer beauty brand for millennial women
- Qubole, a big data-as-a-service company that provides a fast, easy, and reliable path to turn big data into valuable business insights
- Sauce Labs, provider of the world’s largest cloud-based platform for automated testing of web and mobile applications
- TWYLA, a new way to discover and buy art, offering consumers a seamless experience and access to limited-edition artworks by leading contemporary artists
- Zerto, a disaster recovery software provider for virtualized and cloud environments
Large Follow-On Rounds in 2016:
- Anomali, the provider of a threat intelligence platform that identifies cyber threats and facilitates trusted threat sharing, raised $30 million
- AppAnnie, a decision-making platform for the mobile app economy, raised $63 million
- Compass, a technology-driven real estate platform, raised $75 million
- Personal Capital, the leading digital wealth management firm, raised $75 million
- Pindrop, the pioneer in voice-fraud prevention and authentication, raised $75 million
- Slack, a business-focused messaging platform for teams which unites communication and collaboration, raised $200 million
- Snap, a photo and video messaging communication platform designed specifically for smartphone users, raised $1.8 billion
- SoundCloud, the leading audio platform that gives users unprecedented access to the world’s largest community of music & audio creators, raised $70 million
- Woven Digital, one of the largest millennial male-focused digital media and content companies, raised $18.5 million
- xAd, the global leader in location intelligence that drives sales, raised $42.5 million
Significant M&A Exits in 2016:
- AddThis, a leading provider of publisher personalization, audience insight, and activation tools that powers 15 million websites and enables unmatched audience segment quality, scale, and insight, was acquired by Oracle (ORCL) in January. IVP made its initial investment in AddThis in May 2011.
- SteelBrick, the fast-growing provider of next-generation quote-to-cash software applications built on the Salesforce platform, was acquired by Salesforce (CRM) in February. IVP made its initial investment in SteelBrick in October 2015.
- Hipmunk, the fastest, easiest way to plan travel, was acquired by Concur, an SAP Company (SAP) in October. IVP made its initial investment in Hipmunk in March 2014.
- Vessel, an online video subscription service, which provides early access to videos from online video stars, was acquired by Verizon (VZ) in October. IVP made its initial investment in Vessel in April 2015.
In 2016, two of IVP’s General Partners – Todd Chaffee and Sandy Miller – were named to the prestigious Forbes Midas List of the Top 100 Tech Investors. Todd has been included on all the Midas Lists since 2009. Sandy is one of only eight venture capitalists who have been on all the Midas Lists since 2007. Todd and Sandy were also named to The New York Times and CB Insights List of the Top 100 Venture Capitalists. For the third year in a row, GrowthCap named Jules Maltz on their Top 40 Under 40 Growth Investors List, which highlights exceptional private capital investors in the growth segment. PitchBook ranked IVP #2 as The Most Active VC Investor in U.S.-based Tech Companies That Have Completed an IPO Since the Beginning of 2011. CB Insights ranked IVP #3 among top investors that are consistently in the top tech exits. In addition, IVP was listed as one of the Most Active Bay Area VC Firms Ranked by Number of Deals in 2015 by San Francisco Business Times.
IVP has eight partners and eight additional investment professionals, focused on identifying later-stage growth companies in the consumer and enterprise sectors. IVP is one of the top performing firms in the venture capital industry, typically serving as a lead investor in later-stage rounds with equity investments ranging from $10 to $100 million.
Promotions and New Hires
IVP’s success in 2016 coincided with several important promotions and new hires during the year. Gina Bauman was promoted to SVP of Marketing and Investor Relations while Saydeah Howard was promoted to SVP of Talent and Venture Services in recognition of their contributions to the firm and to highlight IVP’s continued emphasis on strengthening its operations team. In addition, Alex Lim was promoted to Senior Associate. Michael Miao and Armaan Ali joined the firm as Associates.
In 2017, the firm will continue its efforts to drive existing portfolio companies to achieve success at scale while pursuing additional investments in rapidly-growing technology companies.
With $5.4 billion of committed capital, IVP is one of the premier later-stage venture capital and growth equity firms in the United States. Founded in 1980, IVP has invested in over 300 companies, 103 of which have gone public. IVP is one of the top-performing firms in the industry and has a 35-year IRR of 43.2%. IVP specializes in venture growth investments, industry rollups, founder liquidity transactions, and select public market investments. IVP investments include such notable companies as AppDynamics, ArcSight (HPQ), Business Insider (Axel Springer), Buddy Media (CRM), ComScore (SCOR), Datalogix (ORCL), Domo, Dropbox, Dropcam (GOOG), Fleetmatics (FLTX), GitHub, HomeAway (AWAY), The Honest Company, Kayak (PCLN), Klarna, LegalZoom, LifeLock (LOCK), Marketo (MKTO), MySQL (ORCL), Netflix (NFLX), Omniture (ADBE), OnDeck (ONDK), Pure Storage (PSTG), Shazam, Slack, Snap, SoFi, SoundCloud, Supercell (SoftBank), Synchronoss (SNCR), Tanium, Twitter (TWTR), and Zynga (ZNGA). For more information, visit www.ivp.com or follow IVP on Twitter: @ivp.