James Black joined IVP in August 2019. He focuses on identifying and evaluating later-stage enterprise and consumer technology investments.
James worked on IVP’s investment in Aiven, FTX, Hello Heart, Productiv, Sorare, Superhuman, and TaxBit and is actively involved with IVP portfolio companies Amplitude (AMPL), Casper (CSPR), Coinbase (COIN), Klarna, LegalZoom (LZ), NerdWallet, Oportun (OPRT), and ZipRecruiter (ZIP).
Before joining IVP, James worked at Canva, a Sydney-based graphic design company empowering the world to design anything and publish anywhere. James worked on the strategic finance team and led projects across fundraising, business development, product strategy, and analytics.
He was also an investment banker at Qatalyst Partners, advising on over $50Bn worth of announced M&A transactions including Citrix’s GoTo Business RMT with LogMeIn, Imperva’s sale to Thoma Bravo, NXP’s proposed sale to Qualcomm, and Shipt’s sale to Target, among others.
James graduated Magna Cum Laude from The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, where he earned a B.S. in Economics with concentrations in finance and operations. In his free time, James enjoys working on Raspberry Pi projects, trying the Bay Area’s Sichuan restaurants, and exploring California’s best coastal hikes.
James's recent writing:
- Amplitude: Making an Increasingly Digital-First World a Better Place
- Sorare: The Next Generation of Fantasy Sports
- TaxBit: The Most Fun We’ve Ever Had Talking About Taxes
- Superhuman: Reimagining Workplace Communication
- ZipRecruiter: The #1 Rated Employment Marketplace Goes Public
- Hello Heart: Helping to Save Lives
- Productiv: Say Goodbye to Your SaaS Spreadsheet
- Aiven: The Open-Source Data Cloud